To provide members who have some basic paddling skills, 5 progressive sessions in sea kayaks. The key objective of these sessions is to enable participants to join in club organised sea kayaking activities in a safe and competent manner. Each session builds on the skills of the previous session and therefore attendance at all is highly desirable. Personal safety is critical and therefore progression through the sessions will depend on participants reaching a standard acceptable to the delivery team.
- Monday 24th February - Double pool session - Rescue training.
- Saturday 29th February - Outdoor training on local river or canal.
- Saturday 7th March - Outdoor training on local river, canal or Folkestone Harbour.
- Saturday 14th March - Outdoor training at Folkestone Harbour.
- Saturday 21st March - Sea journey.
- Using different techniques to manoeuvre.
- Launching and landing in different conditions.
- Carry out self rescues and rescue other paddlers.
- Preparation for trips.
- Useful and essential safety equipment and clothing.
- Have paddled on open water in any craft.
- Have access to wet or dry suit or similar, safety helmet, buoyancy aid, suitable footwear, Kayak and paddle.
- Participants may be able to borrow some of the items from the club.
- As participants will be carrying out some of the rescues in the sea, clothing must provide sufficient protection from the cold.
- As the sessions are progressive it is highly desirable that you commit to attending all on all the dates. If that is not possible and you still want to be included please contact Keith to see if your personal needs can be managed in a different way. Please note that this may not be possible as it will depend on the delivery team constraints.
- As we have equipment limitations and this will restrict numbers please register early to avoid disappointment.
Coordinated by Keith White (07581 067951)
Delivery by Andrew Forrester, Andy Tebbs, Mike Garcia, Pete Howe and Keith White